CAM Mash Up: This Week (Oct 15 - 21, 2017)

Posted by Andrea Drennen, CMCA on October 15, 2017
2017CMU_Oct_15.png

Running a community association can be a challenge for the best of people. Between the difficult decisions, the time commitment, the limited budget and the difficult people to deal with, a good board member deserves the Nobel Peace Prize! Barring that, we are coming at you this week with the resources and tips you need to overcome those roadblocks and bring peace to your community.

As an educated member of the Community Association Management industry, you already know how crucial it is to stay informed and up-to-date on the latest news, trends and happenings within the industry. Each week, we bring together our favorite reads of the week and share them with you! Enjoy the CAM Mash Up and please share it too!

The Dark Playground

"Chances are that at this very moment you’re procrastinating on something. Maybe you’re even reading this article to do so." Doh! Guilty as charged! But it turns out that procrastination affects us all: "About 95% of people admit to putting off work, according to Piers Steel, author of The Procrastination Equation. And I’d argue the remaining 5% are lying." So what can we do about it? Here are 5 research-based strategies for overcoming procrastination.

Decisions, Decisions...

If you're a board member, it can be a bit overwhelming to take in all of the resources made available to you when you first joined the board. Even deciding the usefulness of the different options available to you can be a challenge. But we've got your back! Start with these 4 things to make sure you make the best choices for your community. Four crucial resources for community association boards

Wish I Had That

"Staying up to date with current trends and providing competitive amenities is one of the best ways to attract tenants who care as much about your community as you do. When looking to raise the bar, looking beyond the basic conveniences will boost your overall appeal, increase the value of your property, and make your current residents feel valued. Here are some of the best community amenities that you can have as part of your HOA."

Time to Share

So you've built out the perfect budget for the year. You got all of the calculations right, managed to avoid a special assessment, and got the whole board to agree on it. "All of this is good stuff, but it is meaningless if your informed Owners don’t know what you are doing.  Most Condo Associations will spam out a complicated spreadsheet and call it a day, but the great ones will follow these tips for communicating Condo Association budgets."

Transparency is Key

"To make decisions in a timely and efficient manner, communities elect a board of directors to represent them, and vests that board with the responsibility to make decisions that will affect the entire community. Election to the board is an example of representative democracy, not elevation to tyranny." You've hear the term that sunlight is the best disinfectant? In community associations, transparency is sunlight, and if you want to avoid tyranical officers, board transparency is the key!

Give if you can

This week many of our neighbors in California and Washington state are fighting for their lives and homes against capricious winds and unrelenting fires. Our hearts and prayers go out to them, and we urge you to join us in donating to the American Red Cross to help in the relief efforts.

Do You Have Big News This Week?

If you've got big news that would be relevant to other CAM professionals, please share it with us in the comments below!

Join Us at CAMfire!

Related Posts

 

Comments